Saturday, October 9, 2010

Braden David Logan



Wow, I just realized that I haven't posted on the blog since July 4th. So much has happened since then. The biggest thing is that Braden has now arrived. I was due October 24, but due to my history of high blood pressure and the fact that he was measuring large and we live an hour away from the hospital, my doctor decided to set an induction date for October 12. We got all prepared for that date as well as our family rearranging work schedules and such. Then, I went for my 37 week check-up on Tuesday the 5th and our plans were changed. My blood pressure was too high, so my doctor sent me to the hospital for observation. She told me at that point that we would either induce the next day, put me on bed rest, or keep me in the hospital until the following week. No matter what, I was not to return to work. Part of me was relieved because work has been extremely stressful this year. However, I was worried about the health and safety of the baby. He was 37 weeks, which is considered full-term, but the longer he could safely stay in me, the better he would be. I called Zach and he met me at the hospital. A few hours and many tests later, the doctor informed us that we would not be leaving the hospital without having the baby, so she wanted to induce the next morning. My blood pressure had leveled out, but the sonogram showed very little fluid around the baby and he was so active that he got on the cord once. The doctor was worried that if she sent me home, something bad might happen. So, we called our family, friends, and co-workers and prepared to have a baby the next day. Luckily my mom had come over Monday night and helped me finish up the nursery and pack bags just in case something like this happened. Zach had to run back to Stamford to take care lesson plans and getting Kagen settled at my parents' house.
On Wednesday morning, October 6th, after spending a LONG night in the hospital on monitors, they started me on pitocin at 5:00am. At 10:00am I was given my epidural, which slowed down labor. At noon, not too much progress had been made, so we were all resting and waiting. It was honestly an easy day for me. I was worn out from no sleep the night before, so I dozed in and out of sleep all day feeling no pain. Around 2:15 or so, the nurse came in to help me turn over and checked me. Zach had gone to the waiting room to visit family and friends, so I was all alone. The nurse was shocked and informed me that I was ready to have the baby. I thought she was kidding at first. She ran to get Zach, called the doctor, and began preparing the room for the baby. Things went very smoothly from there.
Braden was born at 2:58pm, weighed 6 lbs 14 oz, and was 18 3/4 inches long. He was good sized for a 37 week baby, but much smaller than we had been preparing for.
Apparently I am very sensitive to the medication in an epidural. I couldn't move my legs until 10:00pm, so they kept me in the delivery room until then. At that point I still couldn't walk, so the nurse pretty much had to pick me up and put me in the wheel chair. Finally, around midnight, it had worn off enough for me to walk to the bathroom. Major accomplishment! LOL All I can say after that point is thank goodness for pain medication. We were able to leave the hospital Thursday afternoon around 4:00 and were home by 5:00. We were welcomed by Kagen, my mother-in-law, and my niece. My mother-in-law had come down Tuesday night and took care of Kagen for us. We came home to a nice dinner, clean laundry, and a clean house. My parents came out and ate and helped welcome Braden to his home!
Things have gone pretty smoothly. I'm still recovering, but am handling baby #2 better than I did the first one. Braden is doing great. He sleeps, eats, and poops. We are very very blessed.

Cookie Bouquet from Matt, Cheryl, and Alex

Big Brother Kagen

Welcome Baby Braden!

First time holding baby brother

Nana and Papa welcoming Braden home

Great Grandmother Billie

Great Papa and Carol

Me and my boys

Mammie and Braden

Papa, Daddy, and Kagen taking a peak at Baby Braden through the nursery window

Daddy and Mommy (pre-baby)

Holly and Lilly came for a visit

Mommy's friend Krystal

Going Home!

Mommy and Braden

Nana

Daddy feeding Braden

1 comment:

Jenny Wakulat said...

Congrats! He is a cutie :)